How to Paint Bone (Skeletons etc)

A place for creating/viewing tutorials, hints, tips and other things related to the hobby and the whole miniature thing.
sjjones
NLS Site Admin

How to Paint Bone (Skeletons etc)

Postby sjjones » 10 May 2017, 23:20

So, I thought I'd chip in and knock up a quick tutorial on how I paint bone on my Age of Sigmar Skeletons (or indeed bone on other minis too).

I'll go through step by step and have taken the assumption your miniature is already undercoated (I used white - namely the Army Painter white Undercoat Spray). I also used the following Citadel paints/shades:
  • Averland Sunset (Base)
  • Seraphim Sepia (Shade)
  • Usahbti Bone (Layer)
  • White Scar (Layer)

1: Base Coat the bone area of the miniature
Go ahead and apply a base coast to the bone areas with Averland Sunset. Be sure to water it down and build it up rather than just apply straight from the pot.
bone1.jpg
bone1.jpg (246.9 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
Be sure you cover all the bone areas and allow the paint to fully dry before moving on.

2. Apply the shade to the model
You now want to to apply Seraphim Sepia to the miniature - be especially sure to make sure you fill all the nooks and crannies (i.e. eye sockets, ribs etc). You will already notice significant detail coming out already here!. This step is crucial - miss it, and you miss a huge part of the detail that will come out later!
bone2.jpg
bone2.jpg (272.72 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
Shades take a little longer to dry, but it is important the shade is fully dry before moving on.

3. Dry brushing the Ushabti Bone Layers
In this step, we will dry brush layers of Ushabti Bone and White Scar to the bone areas. This is good as it will generally mean you do not paint over the nice shades and begin to really bring out the bone too. Firstly, dry brush the Ushabti Bone to the miniature. Again, do this in stages and build it up gently. Do not worry about neatness either - dry brushing is a messy affair anyway.
bone3.jpg
bone3.jpg (355.58 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
bone3a.jpg
bone3a.jpg (280.04 KiB) Viewed 1002 times

4. Dry brushing the White Scar Layers
Dry brush the White Scar. This is much like the Ushabti Bone step, but you will most likely want much less coverage otherwise there is a danger you will paint over the miniature with too much white.
bone5.jpg
bone5.jpg (381.58 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
bone5a.jpg
bone5a.jpg (301.51 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
Note: This is the individual bit, you might want whiter bone or "dirtier" bone. If you fluff up, not to worry - just apply some Seraphin Sepia and resume. Just repeat steps 3 and 4 as necessary for your requirements. The result for me was a somewhite white bone, but also "dirty" in places thanks to the shade. For me, the white brings it out further.

5. Paint the Rest!
With the messy dry brushing done, all that's left is to carefully paint the details and base the miniature! I hope this has been helpful to you.
bone-fin1.jpg
bone-fin1.jpg (369.63 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
bone-fin2.jpg
bone-fin2.jpg (340.52 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
bone-fin3.jpg
bone-fin3.jpg (315.19 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
sjjones
NLS Site Admin

Re: How to Paint Bone (Skeletons etc)

Postby sjjones » 15 May 2017, 22:23

So, I was asked Why Averland Sunset as your base coat?

Basically, I quite like dirty looking skeletons and many years ago I recall base coating them with dark yellow / orange colours too.

I will point out that there are many ways of doing bone and skeletons. This is just the method I've used. Experiment a bit and find something that works for you :)