Forum glitches

If you have any feedback or suggestions about the club whether be the website, Facebook, or the general running of the club post here.

Maybe you would like to see the club hat returned, or more 6mm scifi terrain for epic, whatever it may be we cant promise to deliver it but the committee will see it.
Si_
NLS Registered User

Forum glitches

Postby Si_ » 13 Feb 2017, 06:52

Anyone else having issues on here?

Whenever I look at a topic, the last post is always obscured by a drop down menu for various links to the site and theres no way of clearing it.
Conflict_30k on Instagram
T-J
NLS Inquisitor

Re: Forum glitches

Postby T-J » 13 Feb 2017, 11:37

It is caused by the newest forum software update, it is conflicting with forum styles.

As I am no longer on the committee I do not wish to make a decision on changes since,
a. I never knew what I was doing when I was in charge of the website anyway (I set it up and configured it because quite frankly no-one else gave a damn just wanted a site up and running again)
b. I am not an elected official of the club nor have I been given any authorisation to change things by members or via committee approval
c. It was not a part of the job I enjoyed so I do not wish to carry on doing it

To fix this problem any any problem such as this there are 2 options
Get someone who knows what there doing to fix it
Use google to identify a fix

I see two options
Roll back the forums to an earlier build (current build is 3.2)
Change the style from DIgi to Prosilver

This is based on the following google search: phpbb 3.2 menu problems

This was one of the first links I clicked on
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2400226

Here is another
http://sitesplat.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=3145

If you decide to change the style back to prosilver you lose every single thing that was unique to the current style. With no changes the forums would look like this. So I would recommend tweaks. Again I have no idea offhand how do it because I first did it a couple of years back. Learning how to do it would be just as easy/hard and time consuming for me as it would one of the committee

index.php?style=1&sid=d836fc35633b8f37447a6b12ee3ded88
sjjones
NLS Site Admin

Postby sjjones » 13 Feb 2017, 13:10

Indeed, this is an irritating bug and definitely widespread.

My first thoughts pointed towards CSS and one such fix was proposed at https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... pic/169271
A simple fix works for me is to add "display: none;" in dropdown class in _common.scss:

Code: Select all

.dropdown {
display: none;
position: absolute;
left: 0;
top: if(unitless($line-height), #{$line-height}em, $line-height);
z-index: 30;
padding: 0;
margin-right: -500px;
}
I may be worth trying this - at least as a potential short-term fix (it's on the hacky side - but if it works....)

While the source repository for phpbb has seen recent activity, it's irritating they have no issue tracking enabled.
https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb

In terms of maintaining the site etc - I did offer to help here in the last AGM, but have not heard much from the committee in terms of going forward on this and apparently Luke managed to lock himself out of his forum account!
sjjones
NLS Site Admin

Postby sjjones » 13 Feb 2017, 13:20

Well, it seems to work:

I just attempted to debug this in Chrome. Screenshot below. I added the "display: none;" property in the css on the fly to the ".dropdown" class and the menus went away :)

With the following screenshots (may be easier to right click and open image in a new tab for full resolution). Pay attention to the right hand side that shows the "Styles".

So, before with the menus there being irritating and not going away (just like a Necron warrior)
ls-menu-problem.png
ls-menu-problem.png (689.21 KiB) Viewed 1360 times
And with the "display: none;" fix applied:
ls-menu-fix.png
ls-menu-fix.png (686.28 KiB) Viewed 1360 times
Unfortauntely, this is literally a debugging exercise, so the problems will return for me the moment I stop playing with the code locally. Therefore we just need to update the common.css file and apply it. No promises it will work for all - but seems good in Chrome.
sjjones
NLS Site Admin

Postby sjjones » 13 Feb 2017, 13:49

Finally found their issue tracker... indeed the problem was reported - they took it seriously it seems.... :(

https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3 ... ted%20DESC

Nevertheless, confirms the issue is within the CSS of the theme being used.
T-J
NLS Inquisitor

Postby T-J » 13 Feb 2017, 14:52

Yep I didn't mention the hacky script alteration since I tried it and it didnt change anything (because most likely just adding it in is not enough you need to take away the bits that are causing the problem as well)

But yeah there are a lot of complaints, and a mixed consensus on the best solution: doing the script change, reverting to the default style which apparently do not have the problem, or going back to 3.1x and not upgrading until they get rid of the bugs.
sjjones
NLS Site Admin

Postby sjjones » 13 Feb 2017, 17:03

T-J wrote:
13 Feb 2017, 14:52
Yep I didn't mention the hacky script alteration since I tried it and it didnt change anything (because most likely just adding it in is not enough you need to take away the bits that are causing the problem as well)

But yeah there are a lot of complaints, and a mixed consensus on the best solution: doing the script change, reverting to the default style which apparently do not have the problem, or going back to 3.1x and not upgrading until they get rid of the bugs.
All you needed to add was add display: none; within the .dropdown bit within common.css

I can't see why that wouldn't work - did you force refresh the pages (CTRL + F5) - should force the browser to reload of all the files etc.

Reverting to a previous version is unnecessary - given the issues seem focused around the themes themselves.
T-J
NLS Inquisitor

Postby T-J » 13 Feb 2017, 19:31

Sorry for the late reply been dealing with some things

I added

display: none;
position: absolute;
left: 0;
top: if(unitless($line-height), #{$line-height}em, $line-height);
z-index: 30;
padding: 0;
margin-right: -500px;
}

Between
.dropdown {

and the next bit

The bit to put in I found on this thread

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... pic/169271

I did not do a force refresh but I did use a different browser which should of alleviated the problem of needing to refresh

Most likely I simply put the bit needed in the wrong place there being 89 counts of .dropdown in the common.css file of course not all of them are top level but some are and I just put it in the first top level one, which could of been in the entirely wrong section.
sjjones
NLS Site Admin

Postby sjjones » 13 Feb 2017, 20:58

T-J,

I think I understand now - from the tinkering around with the source and a browser debugger, you need to edit a file called "sylesheet.css" which is located in the /styles/digi2/theme directory.

Within that file, edit lines 764 - 771 (which is the .dropdown class). Add in the display: none; attribute within that block.

I've attached a copy of the file here (with the change made). Feel free to extract it and just bung that one up in place, but do backup the original first just in case it goes pete tong.
Attachments
stylesheet.zip
(23.92 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
T-J
NLS Inquisitor

Postby T-J » 14 Feb 2017, 10:55

Thanks for the help Steve. It seems to have fixed a bit of the problem (the menu problem).

I will PM the committee on the situation.

As far as the Luke situation goes I do not know of any lock out function that could be enabled, all there is to my knowledge is a simple forgot password option that has been used successfully in the past.

Edit

I am glad I am getting off the apple train shortly a list sorted by the Kb of info stored for each website, madness.