Crowdsource Last Stand a Lineage

Club news will be stickied here, such as minutes of meetings, website changes or things we would like to inform the players about.
T-J
NLS Registered User

Crowdsource Last Stand a Lineage

Postby T-J » 27 Feb 2017, 18:39

Hi Guys the idea was put to come up with a brief history of the club here is my very rough attempt. So if anyone could help out that would be great I am looking for corrections on the many places I have gone wrong (my memory is awful) and even better if you have any Battlenet or Munchies era photos. Note the very early stuff might be very inaccurate I was not there.

The flow is very rough as its an early draft and my writing tends to start off as more a collection of thoughts than a coherent piece. If anyone else wants to right their own version go right ahead

Last Stand
Last Stand started when a group of Games Workshop players needed a new place to play as the small GW shop was no longer suitable.

The start was a casual one everyone meeting up to play games on a Thursday night at a venue called Battlenet. Soon formalising into a club was needed to make sure the group had enough tables and terrain to provide a good playing environment.

Battlenet
(insert battlenet era photo)
2008 is when the club came into being properly with the first committee made up of Mike M (President), Alex W (Secretary), Mike C (Treasurer) all of whom are still regular fixtures at the club. With their guidance, the club flourished and hosted some small local tournaments and got many new members involved in the hobby.
Unfortunately, the good times were not to last and in 2010 Battlenet shut its doors for good in 2010. This combined with a change of committee led to a turbulent year.

Munchies
(Insert Munchies era photo)
After a very brief stop location of Starywn Games we moved on to Johns Café Munchies which was just under the old Battlene venue in the heart of the city centre. It was with the wonderful help of Rob the owner of battlenet we came here. At Munchies, we had some of our best times over the years but it was still tough going as we had to accommodate 15-20 people on 5 tables.

York Tavern
(Insert York Tavern Era Photo)
A difficult decision was reached and in 2012 we moved to the York Tavern near the Golden Triangle, a bit dark and sometime parking was an issue but wonderfully accommodating landlord, space for 8 boards and booze with gaming not to be sneezed at. Like with Battlenet all good things come to an end. The Landlords time was up and the York was going to be closed for an uncertain amount of time so we upped sticks for our current venue.

Scout Hut
(Insert first day photo)
8th of January 2015 was our official first night at the Alec Bussey Centre which I would venture to say is our best venue yet. We have space for 15+ games of 40k at once, and that capacity has been used to great effect for 3 of the bigger 40k Tournaments in norfolk with the best prize support in the country.
(Insert up to date photo)
Sam.osborne
NLS Registered User

Re: Crowdsource Last Stand a Lineage

Postby Sam.osborne » 27 Feb 2017, 18:51

Wowza, I didn't actually realise that the club was formally know as battlenet.
I recall when battle net was above the skate park (old bus station)

I had a stint as the skate park manager around 2000 ish.

Small world
Lspind
NLS President

Postby Lspind » 27 Feb 2017, 19:38

I think this is great
T-J
NLS Registered User

Postby T-J » 27 Feb 2017, 20:26

Sorry to clarify, (I wont edit because that makes anyone who has replied look like chumps)

We have always been known as Norwich Last Stand, the titles as it were are locations. Anywhere I have referred to last stand as battlenet is a mistake.

Battlenet was a rather large venue above Icelands in the city centre, may of needed a bit of tlc but otherwise a brilliant venue. Rob whom some of you may of met most new guys wont have bought it and ran it for a few years before it just wasn't viable.

I have to say it was a very odd venue and I would be intrigued by the history of the place. As I knew it was a Lan Gaming place 12? PCs and a large space with lots of tables that people played anything and everything. I would say a bit of a forerunner to Athena. Though would have required a fair bit of cash to do it up properly.

What was so odd is was accessed by a set of stairs easily missed (might be a guitar shop now) just round from the Icelands entrance. there was a crawlspace where we kept our terrain and the toilets were accessed by going down a back set of stairs that joined a back area with access to the delivery point round back and this was communally used by the downstairs cafe. I am not sure we were suppose to use the loos as far as planning or anything goes but Rob was kind enough to let us.

Venue wise I think we have only just got back to something similar (and probably better in some ways).

At each step we have tended to lose and gain something.

After battlenet while we did have a very fractious split (with the Starywn detour) we got much more together a. because it was so cramped b. We realised what a good venue we had lost

Munchies gave us the best community feel but it was also about the time in everyone life being at the right moment. Thursdays nights were half playing while the other half chated and ate, then a switch over so that everyone got a game, afterwards we left at around 10pm and a load of us went and had a drink and chat. It has never been the same not because people are worse or anything purely because peoples lives moved on, people moved further out, marriage, jobs, uni etc etc.

York Tavern got us beer, good food and we started doing events again.

Scout hut got us much better terrain and boards with all the hard work by various members, Si, Giles, Alex, Rory, Shaun etc etc.
sjjones
NLS Site Admin

Postby sjjones » 27 Feb 2017, 20:35

This is genuinely fascinating for me having only known the club at the Scout Hut.
RRrider
NLS Registered User

Postby RRrider » 27 Feb 2017, 21:20

Now I may be a little hazy with my memory but I think it was along these lines.

I was the first president as being an ex GW employee some people seemed to think I was best suited to the role. A few months later I asked both Kyle and Nat Thompson to assist me to keep me under control.
Then it was myself as President, Alex and somebody else who I can't recall (Wesker Steve or Kyle I think).
When we left Battlenet, the committee changed that same week, Steve was president, with Mike M and Kendo
T-J
NLS Registered User

Postby T-J » 27 Feb 2017, 21:32

asbo wrote:
27 Feb 2017, 21:20
Now I may be a little hazy with my memory but I think it was along these lines.

I was the first president as being an ex GW employee some people seemed to think I was best suited to the role. A few months later I asked both Kyle and Nat Thompson to assist me to keep me under control.
Then it was myself as President, Alex and somebody else who I can't recall (Wesker Steve or Kyle I think).
When we left Battlenet, the committee changed that same week, Steve was president, with Mike M and Kendo
I had just assumed trying to recollect it was yourself, Mike M, and Alex at some point in that period/ throughout that period, and I never could remember who was doing what roll because frankly it didn't matter people just did whatever was needed.

The committee going on from battlenet was Steve Bunyan, Danny B, Wesker and Kendo I thought. With Wesker then leaving with the Starwyn split.

But yeah that was one of the worst committee changes we have had, and it was not particularly anyones fault just terrible timing, with the ones in charge having had enough and needed a break.
RRrider
NLS Registered User

Postby RRrider » 27 Feb 2017, 21:46

I think you may be right about Mike being on the committee in our final year at battlenet, with myself and Alex.
We did have roles as I implemented the first version of the club rules in compliance with the GCN, which required a President, Secretary and Treasurer.

When the committee stepped down after battlenet, we all thought that we had left the club in a good position going forward with the arrangements we had made.
Hindsight is always 20/20
T-J
NLS Registered User

Postby T-J » 27 Feb 2017, 22:27

My comment on roles was just about the fact there may be certain preconceived notions, such as the treasurer sets up the bank account etc. Which is why I had always assumed you were the treasurer.

As far as the committee went I think it was just a case of the new committee getting slightly railroaded by a certain individual with a big personality. His enthusiasm for Starwyn and disdain for any of the alternatives that the committee and Rob had suggested led us to trying out Starwyn quickly finding out what we all knew going in that it was too small, and moving to munchies.

Everything worked out in the end, if that brief stop at Starwyn had not happened my rise to power would have probably also not happened as I hopped into the power vacuum. I was a very different person back then and a lot less easy to get along with. (though I do miss my supreme arrogant confidence from time to time)
RRrider
NLS Registered User

Postby RRrider » 01 Mar 2017, 15:26

It was actually at the end of my watch that we arranged the move to Starwynn, it just happened at the same time as the change in leadership.

The bank account was originally planned to be with Norwich and Peterborough, but we could not get all 3 of us to together, or jump through the many hoops that N&P wanted us to go through (Passport, Utility Bill, Club constitution, Public Liability, first born son etc). I eventually had enough of storing a few hundred quid at home so walked into HSBC, and set one up in 5 minutes.