Club For Everyone

Club news will be stickied here, such as minutes of meetings, website changes or things we would like to inform the players about.
Shaunede
NLS Registered User

Club For Everyone

Postby Shaunede » 19 Feb 2017, 19:00

I have recently talked to a few people about making the club more "everyones club" then " the committees club " to this end i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how they want the club to go forward, any jobs need doing (ie. sorting terrein etc), forum maintenance etc etc.

Also if anyone feels theres a particular thing they can do for the club which falls to there strengths please say. This could for example be being an extra key holder, doing intro games with new members etc.

We currently have Steve helping to look after the forum and facebook page which i think is a very good fit and i hope Mr Price doesnt mind me adding him here as somewhere who can help people list build/play there armies.

I feel we all care very strongly about the club and hopefully we are all willing to give back to it as its everyones club!
sjjones
NLS Site Admin

Re: Club For Everyone

Postby sjjones » 19 Feb 2017, 19:47

I have lots of ideas on this Shaun.

With the web stuff - I think there are more roles here too.

Going forward with the forums, FB page etc - I think a small team of "willing moderators" is necessary (and not to just protect lil james from abuse) - so a couple of more frequent visitors who have some moderation power of posts is useful. We would need to consider some "house rules" and a more simplified structure on these boards. Rather than just the committee or myself, this is something others can chip in with too (and it is more a reactionary role if anything tbh).

With the FB page, again a team of members willing to add content to this would be great - its easy to use and the engagement is higher.

in two weeks I will be playing T-J at 40k and we will be experimenting with live streaming the game on Facebook as Norwich Last Stand. I am also very happy to take a lead in some "club content" say once a month - we throw out something good - I'm thinking some army showcases or "sit and talks" - whatever really. I hope its a fun way to involve members too. The forums can be a hub for posting activity too - the works in progress is awesome, although I'd suggest we split this into a board of it's own with each WIP as a topic rather than one massive topic. This is better computationally too.

Painting or building tutorials are also cool - if anyone fancies doing these - again this is all good content to pop up and can be simple as painting effects on power swords to rotting zombie corpses or full models.
Sam.osborne
NLS Registered User

Postby Sam.osborne » 19 Feb 2017, 19:56

I spend a lot of time on the forum, I'd like to help promote the webpage / Facebook.

Anything I can do to help moderate / instigate use, I'm more than happy to do.

Shaun, I really like the idea of its "everyone club", regardless of hierarchy.
sjjones
NLS Site Admin

Postby sjjones » 19 Feb 2017, 20:01

Sam.osborne wrote:
19 Feb 2017, 19:56
I spend a lot of time on the forum, I'd like to help promote the webpage / Facebook.

Anything I can do to help moderate / instigate use, I'm more than happy to do.
Funny that, you were on my hit list to ask :D
Sam.osborne
NLS Registered User

Postby Sam.osborne » 19 Feb 2017, 20:52

Steve, sounds good to me..
T-J
NLS Registered User

Postby T-J » 19 Feb 2017, 21:31

I am sure your tired of me by now :) but here are my thoughts.

Currently happening

1. Open up club, Lock up club - Currently done by Luke S, Mike M, Shaun E (may be possible to expand this may not be, security issues of having to many keys, plus insurance requires a committee member to be at the club)
2. Facebook Page and Website - Steve J is taking over and I think a similar structure is what will work throughout the club and is what the committee are aiming to formalise.
3. Club announcements and correspondence with members and prospective members - Committee
4. Organising Tournaments and events - Can be done by anyone, Si and Shaun were not involved in the committee when they arranged things.
5. Terrain - Previously done by Si, Giles, Rory and Shaun. Can be done by anyone.
7. Packing stuff away at the end of a club night - Often left to the committee and the other 1 or 2 people at the end of the night, because it often or almost always needs redoing to coexsist with the scout hut
8. Intro games - Previously has been done mainly by Mike M, Jack A, Alex W, Dan M or Chris P. Could be done by anyone who brings a variety of stuff to the club and can adapt to any newbies army.
9. Tea and Coffee - No longer set out to my knowledge
10. Thursday night pictures - Shaun E and Alex W could be done by anybody was talking with Steve the ways this could be done.
11. In depth content - Previously done by Giles and myself with the help of anyone Giles interviewed, currently not being done, could be done by anybody.

Thats all i can think of that was being done recently or is being done now, alongside who was doing it.

Thoughts

What I think would work best with our group (and I am fairly sure me Steve, Shaun any many others are on the same wavelength) is one person is 'in charge' in a very loose sense of certain areas and delegates different jobs to different people.

I think everyone at the club is more than willing to help but need that bit of guidance that someone 'in charge' can give about what to do or how to do something.

Here are a few examples.
Terrain, the other year Si and Giles were on a mad terrain rush to get enough terrain built and painted for Conflict, and in Giles case Mordheim as well. Once Giles got fed up of looking at foam all day he roped in Shaun and Rory who were more than happy to help just needed to know what needed doing.

Website and Forums - Steve is going to redo the web stuff to make it a lot more suitable than it is presently, but he is not going to work alone, as seen in this thread he will get others to help along the way in certain roles and provide guidance where necessary. I for instance cant build a website to save my life hence why the forums and website is a bit of a mess on mobile devices, however I am capable (with a bit of guidance) of moderating the forums: moving a few posts, locking a few threads, telling people to not be so mean

Suggestions

1. Club social - area set aside to just chat on a club night, grab a coffee or a beer once in a while and casually talk through any club stuff that needs mentioning.

2. Club Night - Get a routine going that everyone helps with. By x a clock tables are out and in sensible places (i know there have been problems where we cant fit 8 games in a space that comfortable house 14+ because the spread has been terrible), terrains out, club sheet is out and in the same place each week etc.

3. Storage room and boxes - all a bit of a mess, plans are in place still to my knowledge and I am sure any help in sorting it would be appreciated.

4. Tournaments game days etc - Either have someone to do event admin like aftermath do, or have information easily available for anyone to run an event. Maybe have some 'in charge' like Shaun or Si who you can bounce ideas ask or ask the question such as: How to I book the room, how does insurance work, is x people to much or too few, is £x too much to charge. What do I need to include in a forum thread. Perhaps a person isn't even needed just a guide.

5. I think we need to do something with regards to Dystopian Wars players, card game players and anyone else I have forgotten, I have not been down much so it could just be me but I feel if you don't play 40k or latterly AoS your not in the same gang as it were. With the few exceptions it seems very much us against them with a few individual bridging that gap, like Jack with Yugioh and Dave with Dystopian wars. I admit I cant think of a solution and havent been able to think of one since it started at the Pub.

As for doing stuff myself I am more than happy to help out where I can. My absence from the club has not been as total as it might appear, its quite simply I had stopped enjoying 40k, not too big a fan of AoS and not been in the right frame of mind to push games that I do enjoy (not that I was very good at the latter in the first place). So coming up and sitting in a corner is not very much fun as I have not wanted to interrupt peoples games, and people generally leave once they finish rather than stay around and chat.
Shaunede
NLS Registered User

Postby Shaunede » 19 Feb 2017, 22:43

I'll Happily try doing some painting tutorials or help people out with techniques if needed although i think Chris B and Tay would also be very good people to go to for advice.
Si_
NLS Registered User

Postby Si_ » 20 Feb 2017, 07:50

I'm happy to help out where I can.

I mentioned to Luke that a club I used to be a part of (1st Company Veterans) had an events team as part of the committee and they didn't just do events, they also ran club campaigns and apocalypse days.

I am happy to advise anyone who fancies running an event (be it 40k or AoS) and loan the Conflict scenery for any events.

I can also offer painting and hobby advice to anyone willing to listen.
Conflict_30k on Instagram
Big lad
NLS Registered User

Postby Big lad » 20 Feb 2017, 21:23

Shaun

More than happy to work with people on tactics/lists and or do intro games

Also happy to spend time with new /old players helping them along in their games (rather than playing against them).

Also I know we have a club tournament coming up, I'm more than willing to help anyone practice/prep for the competition

C