New Facebook Group - Norwich Last Standers

Club news will be stickied here, such as minutes of meetings, website changes or things we would like to inform the players about.
sjjones
NLS Site Admin

New Facebook Group - Norwich Last Standers

Postby sjjones » 09 Apr 2018, 00:15

Hi All,

Just a quick note to let you know the committee have setup a Facebook Group (in conjunction with the Last Stand page). What's the difference, I hear you ask....

Well, the group (which you can find here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/NorwichLastStand/ is a closed group specifically for folks who play at or are members of the club. It's a place much the same as the forums - you can share hobby works in progress, seek advice, discuss things, arrange games or buy/sell bits etc. You will need to make a request to join the group (although we are inviting folks directly if they are on individual friends lists) and one of the committee will accept this.

The page on the other hand (https://www.facebook.com/NorwichLastStand/) is the Club's public facing page on Facebook, which has seen some very good use, and over the last 6 months or so, has been pivotal in helping people find us, find out more and arrange their first visit. The page will still continue to be used for this reason - where the committee currently respond to messages sent through it.

We're looking to see how well this functions, with comparison to forum activity which in the time I've been doing the web stuff for the club has been on a decline. The forums are not going anywhere at present, however the cost of hosting with support for the features needed for the forums is an added cost. Our hosting doesn't come for renewal until November though. Ultimately, any decision on the forums would (I suspect) probably need to be put to the membership anyway - unless the President gets all totalitarian... :P

That being said, this is something that would need to be considered cost wise when it comes. As the majority use Facebook regularly, we'd like to think the group offers a portal for more hobby sharing, discussion and sorting of games etc.

If you've any thoughts, comments or concerns with this, do let us know.

~ Steve
Si_
NLS Registered User

Re: New Facebook Group - Norwich Last Standers

Postby Si_ » 09 Apr 2018, 06:46

Good move and into the modern era!

Instagram next?? ;)

Its so much easier to share work in progress and hobby updates through a mobile without having to shrink them and worry about orientation on here. I think forums have been on the decline for a while. I think this and a Heresy one are the only ones I check and they are both dead so that says it all.
Conflict_30k on Instagram
sjjones
NLS Site Admin

Postby sjjones » 09 Apr 2018, 14:28

Si_ wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 06:46
Good move and into the modern era!

Instagram next?? ;)

Its so much easier to share work in progress and hobby updates through a mobile without having to shrink them and worry about orientation on here. I think forums have been on the decline for a while. I think this and a Heresy one are the only ones I check and they are both dead so that says it all.
Yeah, been a while coming I guess. If it means we can engage more (not just as a club - but also wider) then it can only be a good thing too. Indeed, as you say - no more faffing around with image sizes or limits either.

As for Instagram - for all my sins, I've never actually used it :P
Big lad
NLS Registered User

Postby Big lad » 09 Apr 2018, 22:31

Guys

without wishing to be accused of being an old technophobe, there is at least one very long term member (I.e. me) who will not be able (or more importantly willing) to join a Facebook group.

Feel free to do as the majority of the club wish, however i for one would not like to see the forums removed.
sjjones
NLS Site Admin

Postby sjjones » 11 Apr 2018, 10:15

Big lad wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 22:31
Guys

without wishing to be accused of being an old technophobe, there is at least one very long term member (I.e. me) who will not be able (or more importantly willing) to join a Facebook group.

Feel free to do as the majority of the club wish, however i for one would not like to see the forums removed.
I'll just say you're a dinosaur instead of a technophobe :) In all seriousness, a fair concern though. Is there anyone else you know of at the club that doesn't have access to / doesn't use Facebook?

I still maintain that the future of the forums would possibly need a more wider discussion with the members, and ultimately I would be more comfortable with any action I take in relation to web stuff being mandated by the members.